As colder weather sends chills into all corners of Lebanon – Wilson County, Tennessee, the pursuit of that extra shot of warmth leads many homeowners to plug in a space heater or two. At Bentley’s Air Conditioning, we understand the desire to warm small areas quickly, but we also know the importance of exercising caution. According to the National Fire Protection Association, over 54,000 home heating fires occur in the U.S. each year, with 43 percent of them caused by space heaters.
If you plan to use space heaters in your home, we strongly recommend that you stay out of danger by following these safety tips:
- Buy a space heater with the Underwriters Laboratory (UL) label, which signifies the unit has been deemed safe for consumer use. Also, look for a model with an auto-shutoff feature that terminates operation if it tips over.
- Before turning on the unit, always check to see if the cord is in good condition. Operating a space heater with a frayed or damaged cord could cause sparking.
- When you plug in your space heater, make sure it feels snug. If the plug is loose or falls out easily, use a different outlet. To prevent a power overload, don’t plug anything into the second socket.
- Don’t leave a space heater running in an unoccupied room. Also, shut off the unit before you go to sleep.
- Never run power cords under furniture or rugs. This will prevent overheating.
- Set the unit on a stable, level surface with minimal risk of getting knocked over. Avoid placing space heaters on tables, chairs, or other elevated surfaces.
Staying warm during Wilson County, Tennessee’s cold weather months is a high priority, especially during the time you spend at home. Exercise caution if you use space heaters, and call the pros at Bentley’s Air Conditioning if you want to shake off the chill with a more lasting solution.